Thursday, July 25, 2013

TRIANGLE TEE



I've been seeing the most adorable printed tee's lately. They're usually crisp and geometric, but always completely COOL. I decided to give it a try myself with less than $10 worth of supplies from the local art store and a tee I already owned (there's nothing like working with what you've got!).

It turned out to be easy, fast (30 minutes in all), and a complete success! Plus, there is loads of fabric paint left over ... I can't wait to try out some more fabric projects!

Get ready for a gorgeously gilded graphic get-up. It's go-time. (I swear I'll stop now)



STEP ONE: GATHER THE GOODS (last one ... honest)



WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

A plain white tee
Fabric paint color(s) of your choosing (I used Jacquard Neo Opaque Black & Lumiere Bright Gold)
Masking tape (1-1/2" width for me)
Xacto knife (for any details you want to cut into the tape ... I didn't end up using this. Oops!)
Paint brush (though a bit of sponge works just as well)


STEP ONE: PREP THE SHIRT




Make sure that the tee is washed. That's it, really. (I did mention that it was easy, right?)

One tip, though: Put a bit of scrap cardboard within the shirt for painting. This will make sure that none of the paint bleeds to the back. I used a folded-flat shoe box.

STEP TWO: TAPE OUT THE DESIGN

Use the masking tape to block off areas that you don't want to be painted, outlining the spaces that you do want to be painted. I just eyeballed my design because I was too excited to get started .... I swear I have the patience of a puppy.

If you are a normal adult, feel free to print out your design, use the Xacto to cut out the shapes in a sheet of tape (overlap strips of tape to cover the total area of your design, lay your print out on top, tape it down to secure it, cut along the lines), then lay it on the shirt.

STEP THREE: PAINT!


Once everything is painted, let sit for at least a half hour. Then comes my favorite part ...

STEP FOUR: PEEL!

Follow any setting recommendations that the fabric paint suggests. In my case, I let the tee set for 24 hours and then ironed to set the color.

STEP FIVE: I LOVE IT <sigh>


No comments:

Post a Comment